Tuesday, February 13, 2007

How I Learned To Care

When I was seven years old I learned a valuable lesson about compassion. A fellow student of mine was a little boy from a large and poor family. He was always being picked on by the bigger boys. They would taunt him about his tattered clothes. They would laugh at his white bread and lard sandwiches. It made me sad to see how this meanness made his life so miserable. One evening at supper I told my family about this little boy, his dilemma and his poor family. Sometime later shortly before Christmas my father told the members of our church about this families needs. Groceries, cash and special gifts for all the children were given, to which my parents added even more. My father asked if I would like to come along when he and my mother went to give these gifts. As we drove up to the house I noticed how run down it was. Once inside we kept our coats on as the family had little money for heating oil. As my parents put the boxes on the table I saw how humbly these gifts where given and how gratefully they where received. That day I learned how to care.

Happy Valentines Day. Love someone today.

2 comments:

Dharma bum said...

Thank you for sharing this beautiful story. It shows us how Love has the ability to take us outside of ourselves, out of our narrow focus of "ME" and show us a wider, wonderful world where we can all flourish and grow TOGETHER. I believe we all can make it happen - Hey, it's easy if you TRY. Today you have encouraged me to be the Love that I want to see in the world. Thanks.
Namaste

Grace said...

such a great story, dad, and so beautifuly told.

i will try and share my love with others today and always.